Welcome back!
I have been a bit overdue with my updates, I have all kinds of news share with you all.
This last week has been very challenging, I have been doing 1-9 shifts all week with extra hours and a major rock gig in between making training very difficult and in this case non existent.
Running in the morning is difficult for me, especially when I'm at work straight afterwards. I may have mentioned this in previous blogs. I have ended up putting pressure on myself when limited to a time, then when at work til 11pm finding myself so exhausted, I'm falling asleep at my desk.
I know that eventually I will have to get up early and run a race, but the difference is that I'm not restricted to a time limit and no one will ask me to do an entire shift at work straight away. I have in fact taken a days holiday the day after the Great North Run to give me time to recover.
I did last week manage a run on Monday evening, which when the sun is still shining at 9pm isn't too bad. I still kept close to home and found myself running what is possibly the dullest route yet. Yes, I weaved through the streets, up down round and round. I did 2 miles worth of streets which all look identical. BORING!
There is a lot to be said about finding a good scenic route, it just keeps it interesting!
For the rest of the week, I didn't manage to get out. Wednesday, I arrived home from work and it was dull and raining, I didn't like the idea of running so late in the dark.
Thursday... well let me tell you about Thursday. Bon Jovi at the Stadium of Light! It was amazing and if you ask me rocking out like that is a work out in itself! We walked to the stadium from the car park (about 2 miles) and walked/jogged back again (crowd allowing) not to mention all the dancing and jumping!! I said at the time I should have set my app away to get our stats after doing it!
After Thursday I know I wanted to go out on Saturday and try my luck at 6 miles so I didn't go out Friday evening. I was up early on Saturday and had a list as long as my arm of things to do, including a few extra hours at work, a few errands in town and buying my new motorbike helmet (which is pink!), visiting friends who have just had a new arrival and going out on Saturday night with a good friend.
Believe it or not I did manage to get out on my run (kitted out with my new duo skin anti-blister socks might I add!). Given my time frame as I was running (haha pardon the pun) late, I didn't do too badly. I finished 5 miles in 1 hour 13 mins. a little slower than the first time, but I made a few errors.
1. I wasn't correctly fuelled (I hadn't eaten since the morning)
2. I wasn't sufficiently hydrated (apart from a sip or two of diet coke in the afternoon)
3. I hadn't planned my route properly (only planned 5 miles leaving me the temptation to cut it short)
4. I didn't have enough water with me on the run (never again!)
Apart from that the first half of my run went well, I was comfortable for the first 3 miles keeping it to an average 12 min mile (after speeding away at 5 min mile pace for the first minute) I didn't start to slow down until mile 4.
Overall, I think I did OK, I think I could have done it if I had had more time.
So, I have entered the Bupa Great North 10k, which is next Sunday. I have had a lot of mixed opinions on my training between now and then. I think I'm going to stick with a short run tomorrow night (about 2.5 to 3 miles) then possibly a mile on Wednesday, then rest until Sunday.
The reason I'm running...
I'm running in aid of Mind - A charity dedicated to make sure anyone with a mental health problem has somewhere to turn to for advice and support.
This week, I have read an article on the BBC News website, I have found the following information:
WHO IS AFFECTED?
About two in three adults have depression at some time in their life.
One in four women and 1 in 10 men will require treatment for it at some point.
The average length of an episode of depression is six to eight months
4% of children suffer from anxiety or depression.
Other major types of depression
Post-natal depression
A type of depression some women experience in the first few months after they have had a baby.
Can be a combination of factors including stress of life-changing event, difficult delivery, lack of support at home and illness following birth. Hormone changes may play a part.
Affects one in seven women after childbirth. A family history of depression or postnatal depression increases the risk as does having a mood disorder in the past.
Bipolar disorder
Moods swing from one extreme to another. Manic and depressive periods can last for weeks and may interfere with every day life.
Widely believed to be the result of chemical imbalances in the brain. Stressful life events can trigger episodes.
One in 100 people are bipolar in the UK. The disorder seems to run in families but no single gene is thought to be responsible.
Seasonal Affective Disorder
A type of depression that has a seasonal pattern. Episodes tend to occur during the shorter days of winter when the Sun's rays are weaker.
A lack of sunlight causes us to produce more of the hormone melatonin and less of the neurotransmitter Serotonin. These factors are thought to play some part in triggering SAD.
One in 50 people affected by SAD in the UK. One in seven people with a first degree relative with SAD will have the condition. It is more common in countries further from the equator.
If you would like to view the full article you can do so by Clicking here
I would like to also take the time to mention that friends of mine have recently lost a close friend. I'm not aware of the full circumstances, though I'm aware that depression was an unwelcome part of their life.
At times like these I really realise how important support and awareness is.
Please help. Please sponsor me for my first ever half marathon in aid of Mind.
Donate here
Follow me on twitter @79bobbin
Happy running!
Chrissy
No comments:
Post a Comment